[slideshow exclude=”564,526″ size=”full” caption=”0″ navigation=”0″]
On April 2nd 2012, the CDS held a conference to debate the future of inclusive education in the UK.
We were delighted to welcome our guest speakers to this event:
- Prof. Len Barton (Emeritus Professor at the Institute of Education, London)
- Sally French (celebrated author, lecturer and special school survivor)
- Tara Flood (Director of the Alliance for Inclusive Education (ALLFIE)
- Linda Derbyshire (parent of a young disabled person and Honorary Research Fellow at Manchester Metropolitan University)
- Hannah Derbyshire (young disabled person)
The conference also included a performance by Musical ARC, a pioneering ensemble of disabled and non-disabled musicians who undertake work with schools.
Delegates included representatives of disabled people’s organisations and young disabled people, parents of disabled children, teachers, activists in the field of inclusive education and academics from the fields of Disability Studies and Education. The event was fully subscribed, with over 100 delegates in attendance. We feel sure that this is an indication of the deep concerns that so many of us feel about the current threat to inclusive education.